Massimago is rooted in the Mezzane valley, a deep and ever-present agricultural area of Valpolicella that developed on the eastern side of Verona, a few km from Lessina Natural Park and the Soave Castle. Originally the valley was completely submerged by the sea, therefore the particularities of the soil types vary with their elevation.
Our aim is to be recognized for our environmental responsibility that is reflected in our daily choices:
- the conservation and restoration of the natural environment through the use of green manure, trying to recycle all our waste, and the protection of our forest as a rich source of biodiversity.
- Organic viticulture with a low environmental impact, integrated pest control and manual grass cutting
- A new technique to age the grapes naturally in a Japanese-inspired Fruttaio which uses natural winds instead of machines.
- Use of sustainable energies through solar panels and our own well water
The stratigraphy of the soil consists of:
- red clay rich in organic substances and colloids
- white and floury limestone which contributes to freshness and minerality
- floury and porous marl which, mixed with fragments of limestone and quartz, allows a good drainage of the soil.